A BIT OF HISTORY
The humble story of a great association
During the last 100 years, the Association de l’industrie électrique (AIEQ) united the different key-players of the electrical industry towards common goals. As a matter of fact, it is no coincidence if this association has become the voice of the Quebec electrical industry…
Founding of the Club d’électricité de Montréal
In January, W. H. Winter, of Bell Telephone Company, and P. T. Davis, of Southern Canada Power Company, realize that the people of the electrical industry know each other very little and rarely have the opportunity to socialize. They then organized a meeting at Cooper’s restaurant.
Given the success of the event – which was attended by seven people – it was decided that such a meeting would take place every Wednesday. It is the unofficial founding of the Club d’électricité de Montréal.
Manufacturers and dealers of the electrical industry are invited to join the group. On February 2, 1916, there are 37 people at the meeting. In spring 1916, Mr. W.J. Camp, of CPR Telegraphs is invited as a guest speaker at the first luncheon of the organization.
For several years, the Club is run by representatives of the largest companies of the era: Canadian General Electric, Shawinigan Water and Power, Canadian Westinghouse, Northern Electric, McGraw Hill & Co. Ltd., etc.
Founding of Hydro-Quebec
The Government of Quebec founded Hydro-Québec with the nationalization of the Montreal Light, Heat & Power. During the heyday of the major developments of James Bay (1975-1985), the electrical industry is thriving and the Club recruits many members.